The 2020-21 A-League and W-League seasons have been postponed just one day after Football Australia had settled on radically different schedules.
Both tournaments had been due to get underway in a Bankwest Stadium double-header on Sunday, with the Western Sydney Wanderers in line to face Sydney FC in the W-League and the Wanderers set to clash with new club Macarthur FC in the A-League.
But the outbreak of COVID-19 on Sydney’s Northern Beaches has forced Football Australia to delay the double-header until next Wednesday.
The A-League is now set to begin with Western United’s match against Adelaide United at Kardinia Park next Monday, while the Brisbane Roar and Melbourne City will kick-start the women’s season next Tuesday.
Crowd capacity has also been cut to 50 per cent for games in New South Wales until the end of December.
Head of leagues Greg O’Rourke said Football Australia had collaborated with the NSW government in preparing for the tournaments.
“We have worked closely with the NSW government to ensure that the A-League and W-League seasons will go ahead as planned with the best-possible experience for fans and players within the current restrictions,” O’Rourke said.
“Moving the matches back three days with a reduced capacity supports the government’s risk-mitigation plan in relation to crowds, and to mobility around the city during this Christmas period and New Year’s Eve.”
For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!